Since 2012, ReachOUT has existed to promote, preserve and protect the wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex refugees and asylum seekers in the UK.
WHY OUR COMMUNITY NEEDS US
REACHOUT WORKS TO HELP LGBT+ REFUGEES AND ASYLUM SEEKERS BOOST THIR SELF ESTEEM TO BECOME ACTIVE, CONFIDENT AND PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITIES WITHIN WHICH THEY LIVE. REACHOUT PROVIDES A SAFE SPACE FOR INDIVIDUALS TO START TO REBUILD A SENSE OF SECURITY AND SELF WORTH AFTER EXPERIENCING PERSECUTION DUE TO THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR GENDER IDENTITY.
TO PROMOTE AND PROTECT THE EQUALITY AND DIGNITY OF THOSE SEEKING REFUGE FROM HARM IN THE UK DUE TO THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR GENDER INDENTITY.
- Nominated for 'LGBT Community Organisation of the Year' by the National Diversity Role Model Awards in 2014.
- Delivered LGBT+ refugee & asylum sensitivity training to over 200 participants in a variety of sectors.
- Established strong links with student groups across Leeds.
- Hosted a variety of capacity-building activities, including yoga, self-defence and relationship coaching.
- Established strong links with both LGBT+ sector and refugee services across Yorkshire.
- We currently support 69 individuals from 19 different countries.