Since 2012, ReachOUT has existed to promote, preserve and protect the wellbeing of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex refugees and asylum seekers in the UK.
WHY OUR COMMUNITY NEEDS US
REACHOUT WORKS TO HELP LGBT+ REFUGEES AND ASYLUM SEEKERS BOOST THIR SELF ESTEEM TO BECOME ACTIVE, CONFIDENT AND PRODUCTIVE MEMBERS OF THE COMMUNITIES WITHIN WHICH THEY LIVE. REACHOUT PROVIDES A SAFE SPACE FOR INDIVIDUALS TO START TO REBUILD A SENSE OF SECURITY AND SELF WORTH AFTER EXPERIENCING PERSECUTION DUE TO THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION AND/OR GENDER IDENTITY.
To promote and protect the equality and dignity of those seeking refuge from harm in the UK due to their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
"Before I came to ReachOUT I had a lot of problems with depression and anxiety. I was isolated when I was in Uganda for being a lesbian, and I still felt isolated in the UK. Now that I know there are people like me here - even other Ugandans - I feel I have family for the first time in my life."
What We've Achieved
- We were nominated for LGBT Community Organisation of the Year by the National Diversity Role Model Awards in 2014.
- We have delivered LGBT+ refugee & asylum sensitivity training to over 200 participants in a variety of sectors.
- We have strong links with student groups in Leeds.
- We hosted capacity-building activities, including yoga, healthy cooking, self-defence, art therapy and relationship coaching.
- We work very closely with both LGBT+ sector and refugee services in Yorkshire.
- We currently support 54 individuals from 14 different countries